Help Center

If you have questions, we have answers! Take a look at our frequently asked questions below.

What products does Waffle Insurance sell?

We currently sell cyber, life, pet, renter's, and travel insurance. More products are being integrated and will launch soon. Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive early access & beta launches!

Which insurance products are available in my state?

Great question — you can find the complete list here! Don't see an insurance product available in your state? Email us at and we'll forward your request to our partners.

Why can't I choose a different type of insurance product?

We’ve selected what we believe are the best products on the market. This saves you some hard work.

Each product was chosen based on the breadth of its coverage (first and foremost), its pricing, and its relevant partners.

Why can I find an insurance product for less elsewhere?

While price was a factor in choosing the products we offer, it wasn’t the only one.

Above all, we want insurance to cover you whenever bad things happen. That means breadth and type of coverage was our key focus.

Why is a particular insurance product not available to me?

Waffle is licensed to sell insurance throughout the US.

Unfortunately, some of the products we sell are still being approved in select states. We’re hoping it happens ASAP.

Do I have to download the Waffle App?

No, you can sign up and manage policies on desktop or on mobile, it's your call.

Where does the name "Waffle" come from?

Insurance today is siloed. You have separate car, home, health, and life products. Waffle fills in those gaps. Whenever we used to draw this idea on a whiteboard, it always ended up looking like a Waffle.

It also doesn’t hurt that one of the founders is Belgian.

Who is your renters insurance partner?

Our product is administered by Boost Insurance Agency, Inc., and underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company.

How much contents insurance should I get?

The amount of coverage you need should be based on the total value of your possessions. Before you get Contents Insurance, it’s super helpful to put together an inventory of all your belongings with an estimate of their value. It’s also worthwhile to take photos of everything.

The average two-bedroom apartment has around $36K of contents(1), but that figure can vary significantly (especially if you hoard vintage trading cards). People tend to underestimate the total value of the things they own.

How much liability coverage should I get?

This is a little harder to gauge than your Contents coverage estimate. A typical Renter’s Insurance policy will include $100,000 of liability coverage, which prepares most renters for standard liability exposure.

Our product’s coverage goes up to $300,000 though, in case you’re looking for greater piece of mind.

Does my landlord's policy cover things?

No. Your landlord's insurance covers the building’s fixtures and fittings (basically anything that won’t move if the property was turned upside down and shaken) but it almost never covers your personal belongings or liability.

Can I just get contents insurance?

Nope. You can either buy Liability Insurance as a standalone policy or Liability and Contents Insurance together.

How do I cancel my policy?

Oh no! We're so sorry to see you go, but we understand that we might not be a perfect fit at this time. Follow the instructions below:

Desktop Instructions:
Start on the Home screen, then click on Account on the left hand side-navigation bar to reach the Settings screen. From here, click on the “Manage Plan” button, now you will be able to see where you can cancel your renter’s policy.

Mobile Instructions:
From the Home screen, click on the “Gear” icon at the bottom to reach the Settings screen. From here, click on the “Manage Plan” button, now you will be able to see where you can cancel your renter’s policy.

Is Water damage covered?

Your policy generally covers you if you are liable for property damage caused by an occurrence relating to water, subject to the policy's conditions, limitations and exclusions. There are, however, some exclusions in the policy which may supersede this, for example if the water related property damage arose out of your business pursuits.

A full list of exclusions can be seen in the sample policy here.

Your contents are covered from the one-off accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system; household appliance; or waterbed. As an example, if your air conditioning unit expelled water in a one-off incident and damaged your personal property, your policy would generally provide coverage for this, subject to the policy's conditions, limitations and exclusions.

Other damage caused by certain specific water-related events is excluded. For example, damage from flooding.

A full list of exclusions can be seen in the sample policy here.

Coverage is subject to all the terms, exclusions and conditions of the insurance policy. Please see the sample policy for further information.

What states have personal cyber insurance available?

You can find out product availability by state here!

Cyber insurance described is offered by Waffle Labs, Inc.  Such insurance is underwritten and provided by ACE American Insurance Company or one of its U.S. based Chubb underwriting company affiliates. Chubb is the marketing name used to refer to subsidiaries of Chubb Limited providing insurance and related services. For a list of these subsidiaries, please visit our website at All products may not be available in all states. This communication contains product summaries only.  Coverage is subject to the language of the policies as actually issued. Surplus lines insurance sold only through licensed surplus lines producers. Chubb, 202 Halls Mill Road, Whitehouse Station, NJ.

Why did you choose to partner with ASPCA® Pet Health Insurance?

One of our founders has a dog called Jorah. When he was searching for insurance, the product he found that impressed him most was offered by the ASPCA® Pet Health Insurance program. The coverage isn’t just broad, it’s supported by an organization we admire.

What is the difference between Accident and Accident & Illness?

Accident coverage helps you care for your pet when they get hurt due to an accident. This might include injuries like torn ligaments, bite wounds, cuts, broken bones, swallowed objects, and ingestion of toxins.

Illness, on the other hand, covers the costs of major and minor illnesses, such as cancer, arthritis, hypothyroidism, ear infections, digestive problems, and urinary tract infections.

What's Wellness Coverage?

It’s always best if your pets don't get sick in the first place. Wellness, sometimes called Preventative Care, covers actions that will help keep your pet healthy. This might include vaccines, flea and tick medication, heartworm preventative, and dental cleanings that help stop your pet from getting sick.

While Preventative Care comes with a small additional monthly cost, there are no co-pays or deductibles associated with this protection. Each service does have a maximum annual reimbursement, however.

How do I submit a claim?

We hope you never have to!

If the worst does happen, click on Something Bad Happened on the Waffle home screen and then click through on Pet. You’ll be taken to the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance program member center where you can submit your claim.

Why is there a transaction fee?

To be honest, that one really annoys us. Our partner charges a fee for paying on a monthly basis.

We’ll soon be offering the option to pay annually, which will remove the fee.

I just signed up. How quickly can I claim?

Accident & Illness have a 14-day waiting period after you buy a policy. Conditions that occur or show symptoms before coverage begins, or during the waiting period, are considered pre-existing and are excluded from coverage.

Preventive Care coverage starts the day after you sign up.

What if my pet is already sick?

Unfortunately, pre-existing conditions aren’t covered.

This doesn’t mean that the condition can’t be covered in the future, though. A curable injury or illness that is free of treatment and symptoms for 180 days will no longer be regarded as pre-existing, with the exception of knee and ligament conditions.

Pre-existing conditions are not covered. Waiting periods, annual deductible, co-insurance, benefit limits, and exclusions may apply. For all terms and conditions, see sample ASPCA® Pet Health Insurance policies. Preventive care reimbursements are based on a schedule. Accident & illness reimbursements are based on an invoice. Products, schedules, discounts, and rates may vary and are subject to change. More information available at checkout.

What does trip cancellation cover?

Our standard trip cancellation benefit may provide reimbursement for your covered travel expenses when you need to cancel for an unforeseen covered reason, including but not limited to sickness or death of you, a traveling companion, a business partner, or a family member, as well as for jury duty, court ordered legal appearance, or another reason caused by inclement weather.

Your travel expenses must be unused, prepaid and non-refundable. The maximum coverage limit is up to the trip cost paid, or up to the limit of the selected plan, whichever is less.

What counts as a work reason?

Canceling for work reasons may allow you to get reimbursed for travel arrangements when work as a full time employee interferes with your trip. Reimbursable expenses must be unused, prepaid, and non-refundable.

Possible work reasons can include requirement to work during a planned vacation, transfer to another city, a merger/acquisition, or interruption of company operations due to disaster or bankruptcy. Work related benefits don’t apply to self-employed individuals or business entity owners, such as partners of a partnership.

What covered by financial default?

This protection may kick in during a complete cessation of travel services due to bankruptcy or financial default of your airline, cruise line, or tour operator.

This coverage does not apply to the bankruptcy or default of any organization through which you purchased your travel arrangements. The maximum coverage limit is up to the trip cost paid, or up to the limit of the selected plan, whichever is less.

What does trip interruption cover?

Trip interruption may provide reimbursement for unused, prepaid vacation arrangements and additional transportation costs when your trip is cut short for some unforeseen covered reason, including by not limited to, accident, sickness, or death of you, a traveling companion, business partner, or family member, as well as for jury duty, court ordered legal appearance or another reason caused by inclement weather.

What counts as a trip delay?

To qualify, your trip needs to be delayed by more than 6 hours for one of the listed covered reasons. You may be covered for expenses incurred up to your daily benefit limit for unused, pre-paid expenses resulting from a trip delay.

Coverage may be provided for additional local transportation expenses, reasonable accommodations, meal expenses, and non-refundable trip payments for the unused portions of your trip

I missed my connection. Am I covered?

If you miss your trip departure because your arrival at your trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, for a covered reason (including but not limited to documented weather condition or common carrier delay), this benefit may provide coverage for unused, pre-paid expenses resulting from that missed connection.

Coverage may also be provided for additional transportation expenses and non-refundable trip payments for the unused portions of your trip.

What does Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Mortal Remains cover?

Emergency Medical Evacuation may pay up to the plan benefit maximum if it is determined that transportation to a higher level of care for treatment is medically necessary, in case you get sick or injured on the trip.

In the event of a tragedy, Repatriation of Mortal Remains may also pay up to the plan benefit maximum for your mortal remains to be returned home.

What does Political and Security Evacuation cover?

Political and Security Evacuation may cover transportation to the nearest safe haven in the event of a political or security event.

If my baggage is delayed, what is covered?

In case your bags get delayed for 12 hours or more, you may be reimbursed up to your plan limit for the purchase of necessary clothing and personal items after your arrival at your destination.

What's the Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Waiver?

If you purchase your policy within 21 days of your initial trip deposit, insure your entire trip cost, the booking for this trip is your first and only booking for the same time period/destination, and you are not disabled from travel at the time of purchase, you may be eligible for trip cancellation/interruption coverage, as well as medical coverage relating to a pre-existing medical condition affecting you, your legal spouse (or common-law spouse, where legal), legal guardian or ward, son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law), brother or sister (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes in-law), grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, domestic partner, caregiver, or child caregiver.

Why did you choose RoamRight?

We wanted a broad, premium policy that helps protect you when things go wrong. Of all the policies we reviewed, RoamRight emerged as the best fit.

The RoamRight mark is used by Arch Insurance Company and owned by its parent company, Arch Capital Group (U.S.). Insurance coverages are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company, NAIC #11150, under policy series LTP 2013 and amendments thereto . Plans are sold by Waffle Labs Inc. a licensed travel insurance producer (CA License #19616406, TX License #19616406). Certain policy terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply and coverages may vary in certain states. Please refer to your policy for detailed terms and conditions. Consumer Disclosures can be found at:

What is Ladder, and how does it work?

Ladder is our trusted insurance partner. They offer direct-to-consumer, term life  insurance online.

I have specific questions about my policy. Who can I talk to?

You may contact Ladder at or 844-533-7206!

Ladder Insurance Services, LLC (CA license # 0K22568; AR license # 3000140372) offers term life insurance policies: (i) in New York, on behalf of Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York, New York, NY (policy form # MN-26); and (ii) in all other states and the District of Columbia on behalf of Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Minneapolis, MN (policy form # ICC20P-AZ100 and # P-AZ100). Only Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York is authorized to issue life insurance in the state of New York. Insurance policy prices, coverages, features, terms, benefits, exclusions, limitations and available discounts vary between these insurers and are subject to qualifications. Each insurer is solely responsible for any claims and has financial responsibility for its own products.