What does a standard homeowners insurance policy cover?

A standard homeowners insurance policy typically provides coverage for the following:

  1. Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to your home and attached structures, such as a garage or deck, caused by covered perils, such as fire, windstorm, or theft.
  2. Personal property coverage: This covers your personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, and electronics, against covered perils, both inside and outside of your home.
  3. Liability coverage: This provides protection if someone is injured on your property or if you cause damage to someone else's property, such as if your child throws a ball through a neighbor's window.
  4. Additional living expenses (ALE) coverage: This covers the costs of temporary living expenses, such as hotel bills or restaurant meals, if you are unable to live in your home due to damage from a covered peril.

While a standard homeowners insurance policy provides broad coverage, it typically includes certain exclusions and limitations. For example, a standard policy may not cover damage caused by floods, earthquakes, or sewer backups, among other things. In some cases, you may be able to purchase additional coverage or endorsements to extend the protection of your policy.

It's important to review your policy and speak with your insurance agent to fully understand the specific coverage provided and any limitations or exclusions that may apply.

Disclaimer: The questions and answers above are for educational purposes only. They are meant to provide the public with a general conceptual understanding of insurance and do not constitute advice or analysis. Some answers might be incomplete, outdated, and even not always accurate depending on the particular rules applicable to your state. Importantly, these questions and answers are generic and do not relate to any particular insurance product, including products available on the Waffle platform. If you have any questions about any of your own insurance products, always check the policy first and direct your questions to your insurance agent or the insurance company underwriting your policy.